Since October 2019, 6 legal clinics in the Capital Region have joined their forces to introduce innovative and effective law-education topics to different target audiences on equally relevant legal topics. Two regional initiatives that are part of the project “Developing Regional Leadership and Establishing a Coordination Model of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine”, implemented by the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine with the support of the International Renaissance Foundation.
In this article, we analyze the key achievements of the regional project “Strengthening Regional and Cross-Sectoral Cooperation of Legal Clinics of Kyiv Region”, which includes the autonomous initiative “Innovative Teaching Methods in Law Education Activities of Legal CLinics for Secondary School Students” with a reinforced component of tax education.
The project is implemented by the Legal Clinic “Law and Practice” of Bila Tserkva National Agrarian University.
The project co-executors are:
- The Educational and Practical Laboratory “Legal Clinic” of the ESI National University of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine – implements the component of the initiative entitled “Innovative Teaching Methods in Law Education Activities of Legal CLinics for Secondary School Students”
- Legal Clinic of the Academy of Advocacy of Ukraine
- Legal Clinic “Astreya” of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University
- Educational laboratory “Legal clinic” of National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
- Legal Clinic “Protection and Justice” of the National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine
What has been achieved in two and a half months?
Following the completion of the preparatory phase, which took place in October, on November 4, 2019, a Workshop for Legal Clinics was held at the PRAVOCATOR Law Club in Kyiv, presenting the purpose and objectives of the project at the national level.
Clinics’ students from seven legal clinics of the central region of Ukraine, accademics of faculty of law and linguistics, well-known lawyers together with partners and experts of the clinical and human rights protection movement worked on the ideas for further development of “Maps of interaction of legal clinics with stakeholders”. Finally, this month the legal clinic “Law and Practice” of Bila Tserkva National Agrarian University developed and presented such a map.
An important area of the project is the networking of legal clinics in the Kiev region. The first peer-to-peer networking event was a visit to exchange experience at the Legal Clinic of the Academy of Advocacy of Ukraine.
The next was a study visit of the exchange of experience to the Educational and Practical Laboratory “Legal Clinic” of the ESI National University of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine in Irpin.
In addition, as part of the legal education component, legal clinics entered into cooperative agreements with Irpin’ schools and monitored students’ primary tax knowledge through polls. The monitoring will allow the development of training material that will meet the real needs and equal tax awareness of the target audience.
- Completion of the “Clinician Advisor” to help build constructive communication, how to behave in non-standard situations, and what to look for when working with special clients.
- Development by 5 teams (representatives of legal clinics of Kyiv region, project participants) methodical developments for conducting training for 9th grade students on the topic of “Taxes is easy” and submit it to the competition.
- For students of eight schools of Kyiv region conducting trainings on methodical instructions, which was determined as the best.
- Conducting three brain-rings among the students of three schools in Kyiv, two schools in Bila Tserkva and three Irpin schools participating in the training.
The project participants are convinced that this initiative provided an opportunity to unite the legal clinical community and outline the opportunities of legal clinics, which will greatly improve its organizational development.
Material was prepared by Mariia Tsypiashchuk based on information by Olga Nastina, Anna Bondareva
Photo: Legal Clinics “Law and Practice” of BNAU, NUSFSU