During February 23-24, 2019, the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine on the basis of the National University of Ostroh Academy (Ostroh, Rivne oblast) will host the National Client Consultation Competition among Legal Clinics of Ukraine!
Registration ends February 12, 2019. Applicants will be notified of their further participation via indicated e-mails no later than February 15, 2019.
This year Competition topic is: “Corruption Crimes and Misdemeanours”
- This year’s Competition will be held exclusively in English.
- The registration process will include a preliminary qualifying round (more detailed described in the Registration Form)
- The maximum number of participating teams is 12. In case of more applications, the jury, which will consist of future judges of the Competition, will select the participants according to the results of the qualifying round.
- Competition (onsite) will include two semi-final rounds, in which all teams will take part, and the final round.
- Expenditures on travel, accommodation and meals are covered by the team. Also, a team has to pay an organizational fee of 300 (three hundred) UAH. The registration fee is paid only by the selected teams upon arrival at the Competition.
- The organizer provides the selection and participation of judges, actors who will perform the role of clients, as well as rewarding participants with diplomas. The Organizer also facilitates the further communication of the team with the Organizing Committee of International Competition.
- The Organizer provides the teams selected for the Competition logistic information about the estimated cost and places for accommodation and food, and other organizational information.
History of the Competition
A Client Counselling Competition for law students was first established in 1969 by Louis M Brown. It was adopted by The American Bar Association in 1972 and the International Competition was inaugurated in 1985. The International Competition was named after Louis M Brown in 1993 in recognition of the inspiration he provided as originator of the competition. In May 2010, the competition’s name was subtly changed from “client counselling” to “client consultation”. It was felt that “consultation” reflects better the activity as opposed to the words interviewing, advising or counselling. The name of the Californian lawyer Forrest S. Mosten was also added to the title of the competition. This is in recognition of Woody Mosten’s immense contribution to the growth and development of the competition. Woody has been the president of the competition for over 25 years. (paragraph is taken from the official ICCC website)
Each year, another university, and often even a different country, hosts International Client Consultation Competition. So, in 2009 the ICCC was held in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; in 2011 and 2018 in Maastricht, the Netherlands; in 2014 – in Puerto Rico; in 2015 – in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA; in 2016 in Canada, Winsdor; in 2017 – in the UK, Kent. From 3 to 6 April 2019, the competition will be held in Dublin, Ireland.
Competition in Ukraine:
In Ukraine, the Competition was first held in 2005 on the basis of the National University of Ostroh Academy. Since then, on a permanent basis, competitions have taken place annually until 2009-2010. However, since that time and until 2015, the Competition was paused because of the lack of funding and initiative from the representatives of legal clinics.
In March 2015, due to the support of the International Renaissance Foundation, the National Competition has been reinstated . 16 teams from all over Ukraine participated in it.
The winning team, with the financial support of the International Renaissance Foundation and the American Agency for International Development (USAID), duly represented Ukraine at the International Competition in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. After this, the Competition took place two years in a row on the basis of the NUOA, and last year – at the University of the State Fiscal Service, the city of Irpin. In 2019, the Competition returns to Ostroh.
Contact person for the National Client Consultation Competition 2019 – Maria Tsypiashchuk, +38 097 703 48 55, firstname.lastname@example.org