Traditional human rights tournament of legal clinics, which took place on 18-19 November 2016, was dedicated to 40-year anniversary of The Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union – the first movement in Ukraine. Idea and format of the tournament isn’t new, but this type of event showed its best side in perspective is clinical movement. The tournament became traditional, second most important competition among legal clinics after the olympiad on interviewing clients. This year 8 teams of legal clinics took part in the tournament: National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy, Ivano-Frankivsk University of Law named after King Danylo halytskyi, Chernihiv National University of Technology, Donetsk State University of Management (city Mariupol), National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine, TVasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University, Ternopil National Economic University, Sumy department of Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs.
Team of legal clinic «Liberta» of Ternopil National Economic University won the competition, second place took the team of legal clinic «Legal Aid» of Sumy department of Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs. This two finalists took part in an unusual type of event – «Hard talk» forum technology (discussion on the most important and urgent social issues) with executive director of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union – Arkadiy Bushenko.
Live broadcast of the tournament was provided on Youtube channel «Legal clinics». We are very grateful to our traditional and new partners: OSCE Project Co-ohourdinator in Ukraine, International Renaissance Foundation, Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Educational house of human rights. The tournament was included into educational events of All-ukrainian educational program «Understanding human rights» and organized as part of Project «Responding to Human Rights Violations and Empowering Citizens and Human Rights Defenders in Ukraine Activity» («Human Rights in Action Program»), which is supported by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented in Ukraine by the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union.
Comments of organizers and participants:
Andriy Halay, Tournament organizer, executive director of Association of Legal clinics of Ukraine:
• Debate tournament is held for the 6th time in a row. Every year important issues, which are
• We held the first event in cooperation with Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union. We also hope for further productive interaction with Educational house of human rights in Chernihiv
Valentina Litvinenko, head of legal clinic «Adiutorium» Chernihiv National University of Technology:
• My own impression of this tournament is very positive, without reference to results of my own team. Though you always seek for the best.
Nadia Percovich, team member of legal clinic of The Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University:
• Debate tournament was very exciting. A lot of positive emotions, good people, hazard, new knowledge – these are the main reasons to take part in this competition. After such event you only want to become better and better
Anastasia Cybulko, team member of legal clinic of National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy:
• I enjoyed tournament very much. Friendly atmosphere, which prevailed during the tournament, inspired us on taking part in discussions beyond debate competition.