‘School of Clinical Legal Education: V4 + Ukraine’ was held on 15 – 17 September 2016 in Ivano-Frankivsk city and Mykulichyn village, Ivano-Frankivsk region.
Participants discussed features of the clinical legal education in Ukraine and countries which are members of The Visegrad Group. Also they shared their thoughts about cooperation of representatives of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine with their colleges from the West Europe. In this conference took part members of legal clinics and community organizations, especially:
• Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University
• The National University of Ostroh Academy
• National University of ‘Kyiv-Mohyla Academy’
• Yaroslav Mudryi National Law University
• Lesya Ukrainka Eastern European National University
• National Academy of International Affairs (Kyiv)
• Zaporozhye National Technical University
• Lviv National Medical University
• Law clinic of The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (Poland),
• Law clinic of The Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic),
• Law clinic of the University of Szeged (Hungary),
• Palacky University in Olomouc (Czech Republic),
• Human Rights League (Slovakia)
• Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine
• Ukrainian Legal Aid Foundation
One of the important issues was the legal clinics` specialization. In particular, Zuzana Stevulova, professor of the Legal Clinic in University of Trnava and the head of ‘Human Rights League’ (Slovakia), in her performance about the refugees` rights protection in legal clinics emphasized the necessity of each LC`s specialization in order to increase quality of provided legal aid, to increase students` qualification in certain areas. The western colleges said that due to specialization legal clinics do not create unnecessary competition with other legal aid providers, in reverse they get their own group of clients. Thus students significantly increase their knowledge and practical skills. Executive Director of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine Andrew Galay on behalf of himself and the Association has supported the idea of specialization and increasing of qualification level of members of Ukrainian legal clinic movement.
At the end of the Conference Executive Director of the Ukrainian Foundation for Legal Aid Nicholas Sioma shared his considerations such as ALCU cooperation with other providers of legal aid in Ukraine and assured regarding the Foundation`s plans to support the development of institutional capacity ALCU in the future.
All participants expressed their willingness to cooperate and share the best practices of training and legal protection the common European network.
The conference was organized by Legal Clinic of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University (separate gratitude to the manager of Legal Clinic – Catherine Hychka).
The financial support of the Conference was provided by The International Visegrad Fund.