Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine as an informal social community began to function in 2003.
The organizational potential of legal clinics has been increased. A monitoring model 2.0 has been introduced, which provides for expert support of a legal clinic in the implementation of monitoring recommendations.
New models of student consulting competitions have been successfully introduced. In 2019, ALCU carried out a two-level upgrade of the Legal Clinic Consulting competition. The 2019 National Round established the tradition of holding internal competitions exclusively in English, and the winning team represented Ukraine in the International Round. The 2020 National Competition was held in two stages – the quarterfinals in Ukraine and the semi-finals and finals took place in Krakow, Poland, at the same time as the national round of competitions for Polish legal clinics.
Regional cooperation of legal clinics has been launched. 19 LC – 1/3 of the total number of legal clinics in the Association – started to implement 3 regional projects in the fields of mediation, regional cooperation development, and small business support.
ALCU has become a platform for international internships and professional development of teachers-curators of legal clinics. For the first time, the ALCU, Ukrainian and foreign partners held an International School of Professional Skills for academics of legal clinics. The school was held in June 2019 at the University of Warsaw, Poland.
The partnerships were established with legal aid providers in Ukraine and around the world. The Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine co-founded the Ukrainian School of Practical Knowledge on Access to Justice. The school unites all providers of the FLA system, both state and non-state.
ALCU has actively participated in the activities of the international clinical legal community. The delegation of the Association presented (the Instrument for assessing conformity with the operation standards) of Legal Clinics of Ukraine during the 7th European Conference of Legal Clinics (ENCLE & IJCLE), which was devoted to the quality of services provided by legal clinics and the need for standardization and evaluation.
The Association has formed its own information style and recognisability. The identity of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine (ALCU) has been updated. A brand book, a new logo and other elements of information style have been created. The institutional capacity of the network, which needs donor support, was strengthened.
ALCU has started an independent project activity. In 2019, the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine received support from the International Renaissance Foundation for the project “Development of regional leadership and establishing a model of coordination of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine.”
- The implementation of the Strategic Plan for the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine for 2018-2020 has been developed and started, taking into account the achievements and failures of implementing the previous strategic plan. The document was developed with the involvement of all active representatives of the legal clinic movement, and not only the Board of the Association.
- 11 monitoring of legal clinics were conducted and the analytical results for the legal clinic and legal community for the first time were presented.
- The introduction of the Communication Strategy of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine for 2018-2020 has been developed and launched.
- 7th Open Debate Tournament among Legal Clinics of Ukraine. This year the competition concerned discussion of the anti-corruption issues.
- For the fourth consecutive year the All-Ukrainian Olympiad of legal clinics of Ukraine was held, and the winning team represented Ukraine at the international round of the Competition for advising them. Brown-Mosten in Maastricht, Netherlands.
- The Summer School for the curators of legal clinics of Ukraine was held on “Legal Clinical Education: Modern Requirements of Standardization and Current Challenges”
- Legal clinics are involved in human rights monitoring, in particular, in the Local Human Rights Index.
Annual Ukrainian Client Consultation Competition as the national round of the Louis M. Brown and Forrest S. Mosten International Client Consultation Competition was restored, that is held annually since then.
The first Ukrainian competition of students-participants of legal clinics’ essays on the topic: “The Legal Clinic: What is it for us and reasons for being here” was held
The new edition of Standards of Legal Clinics of Ukraine was approved at the regular Congress of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine
Series of round tables talks and conferences on discussion of actual issues of the activity of legal clinics in Ukraine was organized in connection with the adoption of the Law of Ukraine on Free Legal Aid
The first institute of Higher Education Debates on the Human Rights was held among teams of legal clinics
The First Ukrainian Law Week was held
The Association has achieved development and adoption of the Order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine dated 03.08.2006 No 592 on Approval of Typical Provision on Legal Clinic of Institute of Higher Education of Ukraine
The first Ukrainian Client Interviewing and Consultation Competition among Legal Clinics was held
Typical Provision on Legal Clinic, Ethic Code of legal clinics of Ukraine were adopted, the typical thematic plan of educational special course on “Fundamentals of legal clinical practice” was defined at the second and third congresses of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine
Schools on legal clinic education for teachers and organizers of legal clinics in Ukraine was initiated
The first edition of Standards of Legal Clinics of Ukraine was developed and adopted at the first congress of the Association of Legal Clinics of Ukraine
With the support of the Association, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine sent to deans of law faculties the official letter on the results of the conference “Development of programs aiming to help with the improving of the educational process at the law faculties” (March, 22-23, 2002, Kyiv)</p>
With the support of the Association, the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine issued the recommendations of Ukrainian Interagency Coordination and Methodological Council on Legal Education of the Population on the Role of Public Receptions and Legal Clinics in Providing Legal Assistance to the Population (November, 1, 2002, Ivano-Frankivsk)